View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 09:06 AM   #157
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
medard

Rooting (made possible by boroda, AMR and all software improvements made by rupor) gives you the following advantages among others (I already forgot some),
in no particular order:

1. Adds all the official dictionaries from EU,US,RU models, accessible from the native reader - the number is 14 (12 EU + 2 RU, US is a subset of 6 of EU)

2. Adds more than 400 MB to the data partition for installed apps so that you never run out of space whatever you want to install.

3. Adds open android with the necessary tools: total commander, terminal, superuser
so you can install various android apps or enter commands in the terminal.

You can then install various readers, for example Cool Reader (and thus - also use custom fonts with it).
And various dictionary software.

I successfully tested on T1 ftp server and samba, for example. Not really needed, but you can try other stuff too. Something might be useful.

4. Also, you now can install the kindle app - it allows you to purchase and read DRM protected Kindle books directly on T2. You already have support for DRM protected epubs and pdfs.

5. OPTIONAL - you can also install ADB (android debug bridge) if you like

6. Adds support for fb2 to the native Sony reader for EU and US models

7. Adds auto shelves (so that directories become shelves) - useful if you are using Sony reader.

8. Adds multi-language virtual keyboard and allows to select languages you want to have on it and allows to switch among the chosen languages (but only for the officially supported by Sony languages, for other languages, a separate virtual keyboard app can be installed and configured to be used instead of this one).

9. Adds hyphenation dictionaries, allows to choose the hyphenation language if you want for Sony native reader (similar what Cool Reader allows internally too)

10. Allows to change the screen timeout, typically to increase from 2 seconds to something more, like 10 seconds or any number you want.
Sony goes to a partial suspend mode after that time, and there used to be issues with larger books with Cool Reader - if it does not open them in 2 seconds, then you need to click a button or to touch the screen to get from that suspend mode so that the book is finally opened. Now you can set a large enough number - this problem was eliminated.

11. Adds userStyle.css - this file is useful if you are using Sony native reader - you can control all your epubs at once with it, for example, to set margins, etc.

12. You can disable Sony book indexing for books you intend to read with other readers, such as Cool Reader: for that you need to add .nomedia file to the root of that directory with books

13. You can replace the Sony Bookstore (or something, depends on model) button on the home screen with any installed app, for example with Cool Reader.

14. Made more choices what to show on the home page instead of last added books

15. .... Most certainly I forgot some important improvements .... And the order is wrong.

For me, the most important are: disabling indexing, allowing to install Cool Reader, increasing the screen timeout.

As to the rooting process itself and stability:
I myself rooted four T2s and also helped my friends (via Skype) to root other 3 or 4.
The last 3 went without any glitch.
The first one - it was in the early development of AMR stage, so after a certain AMR update I had to restore from the backup image. But that was an expected risk - the AMR was still experimental and changing. Still, backup and restoration (also thanks to rupor) is very reliable and safe itself. But make at least one backup image! Now AMR is stable for several months and I have no problems with any T2s. But I keep the indexing off, I don't use the native reader, the web browser, etc. Some people have issues with the content server or something. But they use T2 differently.

Last edited by parkher; 07-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote