View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #22
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxtal View Post
Would you be willing to write a few words (yes, both the good and the bad) about your experience with Kindle?
One thing to note is that not all books will be available to you if you're not from the U.S (unless you register your Kindle with a U.S account) this has to do with geographical restrictions and can be frustrating at times.

Once a book is on the device it's very simple to just open and start reading. Opening a book is fast, as is page turning (note: not as fast as on an lcd-screen). The built-in dictionary is a lifesaver when you come across words you need to lookup. You don't have to leave the page your on. The definition will be shown to you at the bottom of the page. It's only when you want more detailed information that you actually leave the page you are on.

I also like the sleep mode a lot. I never turn of the device completely. When I go out of sleep mode the device will instantly come back to life. This is a huge benefit. No time to wait before you can start reading and pick up where you left off. Coming out of sleep-mode the Kindle will remember what you were reading and on which page.

As far as I know the sleep-mode hardly draws any battery. It's the page turning that draws battery, but then I do make a habit of turning off the wireless mode to save extra battery-life.

One thing I've noted on the Kindle 2 is that if I read for several hours my thumbs start to get sore after all the clicking when turning pages. I think this has to do with the fact that the page turning buttons feels small. I would have liked a longer button and there's definitely room for it. I don't think this is a problem on the DX, on the other hand on the DX you don't have buttons on each side. This is a plus on the Kindle 2. When you start getting tired in one hand you just switch to the other.

As for larger documents I'm a little reluctant to go for an e-ink device because I know the page-turning wont be as smooth. Imagine if you scan a book that for some reason can't be converted to text. You will end up with a huge document where each page will take longer time to turn than a regular text page. Even worse if you jump between pages for researching or whatever the e-ink doesn't cut it. It just feels to slow.

So for normal reading yes e-ink is the best. For researching or in scenarios where you do a lot of fast page turning e-ink readers are not optimal.

I took a picture to show you glare, and some pictures to give you an idea of the dictionary system: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?albumid=333

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-20-2010 at 06:02 AM.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote