Thread: Classic Nook 1.5 Update Confirmed
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #74
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahgem View Post
You can do it with the non-rooted Nook, you just don't get much in the way of book organization (hence the complaints). You can sort by title/author only in the non B&N menu; the new update should be adding additional organization to the B&N menu, and possibly the ability to search the non B&N menu (hopes and prays).

I haven't rooted, but my understanding is that rooting combines the two menus into one, and includes folders for organization. Though, I also have read that newer Nooks can't be rooted.
With a stock Nook, you can only search for side-loaded content by clicking through pages of books sorted by author or title, 10 books per page. Clearly, this is useless if you want to store more than about 100 side-loaded books on your Nook (and maybe less, if you're impatient).

With the rooted Nook, there's a library application that supports searching all books (B&N and side-loaded) by author, title, or keyword or cover view. There's a file browser, and there's a program that can download from Stanza or Calibre libraries, or navigate through a Calibre library converted to OPDS metadata.

I don't have one of the newer Nooks, but they can be rooted by someone with sufficient computer skills. I suspect that most new Nook owners will look at the method and decide (probably rightly) that it's beyond their capabilities. However, the older Nooks can be rooted by someone who can copy a couple of files to their Nook and follow a couple of simple directions (like turn off your Nook and turn it back on while pressing on the right > button).
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote