View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Got to sit in once while a friend was interviewing Vidal and was able to hear all his spontaneous catty comments before he blue-penciled them later. One example [on JFK]: "Cortisone did for his profile what Vietnam did for his reputation." He also lamented becoming, in his words, "the National Fag" by writing The City and the Pillar so early in his career. "I wanted to be President!"

I rather think the LGBTI community is mostly glad he published that first book, as my father was for everything that followed (especially the political essays and novels -- Dad was a fan).

The best part about hearing the interview was finding out Vidal could be an amazing mimic -- he did JFK, Capote, Tennessee Williams and Carson McCullers ("Am ah gon-nuh win the Pee-yoo-lit-zuh Puh-rahz?") and insulted my friend in several entertaining voices. He was rather nice to me, though (since I was young and silent but for the occasional guffaw).

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 08-01-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote