View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb27 View Post
Thanks chaley, that got me off to a good start.
Good!
Quote:
Now, in Calibre on the PC, I can choose a book and use Send to Device and the book appears in the folder on the tablet that I specified in Calibre Companion (i.e. I went into the book format and locations option in the companion and set the folder for the epub books to be a folder called "ebooks").

Calibre converts my book to epub and sends it to the folder on the tablet. All is good, right?
If it is doing what you want, then yes.
Quote:
However, I still don't see any evidence that the Calibre Companion ap has any idea that I've transferred books from my PC. In other words, the companion performs no other function other than letting me choose the folder to which I've downloaded the books.
It won't. Calibre Companion is a calibre "device". It sees what calibre has sent to it. It also sees books in its folders when it is connected to calibre, but as you are not connecting CC to calibre then it will never see anything.
Quote:
Is there any way to use the Calibre companion to do anything useful? Perhaps view the list of books in my library? Allow me to choose books from the library (on my PC) and copy them to the tablet? Or show me the books on the tablet that I've already downloaded?
Unfortunately, do. CC can do useful things only if it can connect to calibre over wifi. In your case it cannot connect, so it can't do its job.
Quote:
I'm tired of fighting the wifi battle. It never works right in my house. I ran wired ethernet to every room in the house and now I don't have to deal with it any more (mostly).
My guess is that this is a losing battle. That said, it is hard to imagine how you can use an android device that cannot reliably connect to wifi. No browsing, no email, no nothing.

I had a similar problem in my apartment as you seem to have in your house. My apt is fully cabled with cat 6 cables (cost me a pretty penny), but that didn't do squat for devices that don't have RJ45 connections such as phones and tablets. Unfortunately, my "standard" wifi access point (the one provided by the ISP) does not reach several rooms in the apartment. This was unacceptable, so I connected a second wifi access point (a router that I had sitting in a box) to the cable at the far end of the apartment and gave it a somewhat different SSID. Now my various phones and tablets switch automatically between the primary and the secondary access point as I move around my apartment. Problem solved.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote