View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 AM   #25
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There have been a lot of requests for using the NCX ToC as the ToC for Mobi if an internal ToC does not exist. That's something that Amazon has ignored and will continue to ignore.

I don't see Amazon leaping to fix what users want.
Wolfie, my pet:

I wouldn't bet that there have been "a lot of requests." 500 emails from you don't really count as a "lot of requests." That would have to be one email from you and 499 from other people. ;-)

Seriously, though, I suspect I'm not really far off. The vast, vast majority of mobis are made with Word files and by people who can't spell NCX, much less use it as the logical TOC. Probably more than 70% of all mobis have neither an html toc nor an NCX. I would be shocked if they had "a lot of" requests. I don't think I've ever even asked them for it. I've asked them for a fair number of things (usually accompanied by very terse emails in which I try not to say things in four-letter words), many about the dreaded damned and accursed SRL...but I don't think I've ever actually requested this. I mean, making an html.toc takes seconds, so...what's the big deal? Just because you hate them doesn't mean that it's a bookmaker's worst nightmare. Many, many other things, like consistently NOT changing the Pub. Workflow to constantly "fix" unbroken things for Word uploaders, to the detriment of professional book-makers, would certainly be ahead of "use the ncx" on my wishlist items.

Just my $.02.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote