View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnab69 View Post
Can't find the info I am looking for.
When there is a series of books, I do this with the filename:
author - [seriesname seriesnumber] bookname

I use an abbreviation for seriesname, but that is neither here nor there.

Is there any advantage in using calibre's series abilities and, if so, how?

You should use all the metadata columns correctly as you can use calibre send to options better. Today some readers support series some don't so if a reader doesn't support series you can use metadata plugboards to add series to the title when sending to your device.
Using calibre metadata columns correctly is the best way to go as it allows you export in any filename you like. And it future proofs your library so in future if you decide to do something differently you are still able to do it. I know the hurt of redoing a 700-800 ebook library

Calibre supports series and sub series. So its good for setting up universes the problem comes if you want to number them by universe timeline instead of individual series numbers. But you can add a floating point custom column. I just use the series number column to follow the universe storyline.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	689
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	100005  
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote