View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
lyssdod
Member Retired
lyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitylyssdod has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: none
Exclamation Kindle Repository

Hi guys,

I want to share my idea with you and to hear your opinion. I've been reading this forum for a long time, obtaining new knowledge and admiring homebrew stuff. That's great, but it's a complete mess. I mean, once anyone creates a new program, he creates a thread (it's okay), but there's these annoying zip files, source code encapsulated in quote tag, and in 8 times of 10 there're no screenshots. I have to read the whole thread to find something more or less descriptive.

What we have in the result? Lots of threads, which can have brilliant stuff inside them, but buried deep under uninformative posts. That's not mentioning many authors that have abandoned their creatures.

In this thread there are some talks about setting up an opkg repository and that's partly what I want to do. So, that's time for few headlines:
  • Rewrite opkg tool
  • Organize all sources
  • Setup a precompiled repository

I created an organization on github: https://github.com/kindle-ng which I want to use for keeping code repositories and collaborating with other developers (yifanlu, Nyoxi, NiLuJe, twobob are especially wanted). I think, that together we can transform existing codebase into something ordered and well-organized. I'm an old-school Gentoo user and I would like to have Makefiles everywhere (or use CMake).

For the second goal, I'm quite experienced with embedded Linux development as well as with web development. It's not so hard to setup an automatic compilation of current package tree from github and exporting it online, thus making opkg repository REAL. Imagine that you're running opkg-gui from your kindle (or visiting a website) where you can read software's description, watch its screenshot, finally, install it in the handy way! Like all normal users do.

lyssdod
lyssdod is offline   Reply With Quote