View Single Post
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Response from Merriam-Webster on Kindle version of dictionary

Yesterday (Sunday), I sent an email to the Merriam-Webster publishers via their website asking them the Kindle version of their 11th Collegiate dictionary would be available. As you may know, it's been listed as "not yet available" in the Kindle store for quite some time. It is available on Mobipocket but I don't think it will work with the Kindle in the same way as the current dictionary.

Here is our correspondence (yay for Merriam-Webster for being so quick to respond):

Quote:
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 1:01 PM
To: mwsales@merriam-webster.com
Subject: Kindle version

I've noticed that the Kindle version of the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
Dictionary, 11th Edition, has been listed as "not yet available"
for quite some time. I know the version for Mobipocket is available now. I
would like to know when the Kindle version will be available.

Thank you.
Their response:

Quote:
Before the Collegiate Dictionary (and other Merriam-Webster titles) can be
put on sale Amazon needs to update the Kindle software to better support
reference use. Although we don't know when that update will take place we
take it as a good sign that they have listed the title, and we are hoping it
will be in the coming months.

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Jim Withgott
Merriam-Webster Inc.
I don't understand how using the Merriam-Webster dictionary needs a software update. Would it not work in the same way as the current dictionary? I guess my next step to write Amazon to find out what the deal is on their end.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote