View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'm flattered I think. I wish you'd asked for the text though --- I'm pretty sure I still have it handy and it'd've had at least some basic markup, esp. italics which might've saved you some effort.

I will note that I used the Project Gutenberg text back at a time when they had rather tedious legal notification requirements, and since it was originally intended merely as a gift for my sister --- since then, I managed to get the couple of corrections I had submitted to and accepted by PG (though they chose not to honour the original's British spelling style) --- not sure if there've been any changes since then, but in case there have been, you should probably switch to that text (unless you like the British spelling style).

Nice edition though! (And those who're curious may find it educational to compare my .pdf w/ this ePub version to see the sort of typographic infelicities which even in the best ePub version can't be controlled for --- one word last lines, # of lines on a page constantly changing to prevent widows / orphans, overly loose line on the middle of pg. 20, 3 word stack on pg. 21 (meditation/Meditation), 2 word stack on pg. 32 (black), 2 word stack on pg. 37 (the) Twice!, six word river on pg. 40 (the/their/the/the/its/we), 2 word stacks on pg. 40 (a & We), 3 word stack on pg. 46 (the/the/The), 2 word stack on pg. 47 (a), awkward break at the bottom of the first page of Chapter VII where the poem is referred to, but appears on the following page (when viewed in Sony's ebook viewing program)). In the .pdf I believe there were only one or two places where I let two word stacks stand (because they were intractable) --- will have to try again using xetex and margin protrusion and character expansion (I'd used DEK's macro for hanging punctuation from _The TeXbook_).

Was it intentional that only the first lines of verse be set in italics? I'd thought that all of the lines were... Also, I had book titles in italics (as per the original and typographic tradition), but you seem to've put them in quotes --- was there a particular reason for that?

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote