View Single Post
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #65
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
samples and amazon purchased books

I noticed that none of my amazon samples and purchased books go into a collection without manually moving them into a collection using the kindle. This has been relatively consistent throughout trials of different kindle collection editors, including AKC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornington View Post
...2) The weird asin thing I mentioned above. This isn't "fixed" as such, but I've come up with several workarounds, which are described in the now-huge comment at the top of the script file.

Basically, I noticed that all the affected books were ones purchased from Amazon, whether they were stripped of DRM or not. So the simplest workaround is to reconvert them twice: First convert them to epub format and then convert the epubs back to mobi format. That'll strip out that embedded metadata asin and allow them to be managed as normal.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...47#post1255247 for script file
After reading through various threads, I came across Mornington's suggestion and gave it a try. I converted an azw file to epub then used the epub file to convert to mobi. I deleted the azw file from calibre and the original from the device and then send the new mobi file to the device. AKC! was able to add books to collections if the mobi, not azw, file was used. If I didn't delete the azw file then a revised azw file was sent to the device, even though a mobi file was also present. Without opening calibre, I can't remember if it sends over azw before mobi files if both are present.

For samples specifically, if the azw file was used, the kindle read the file as a "sample" with working links to the kindle store, but the file wouldn't go into a collection except manually. If the mobi file was used, the kindle no longer saw the file as a sample, so kindle store links didn't work, but AKC! was able to put the file into a collection.

So some of those empty collections that AKC! created were finally used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermopyle View Post
AKC! currently will overwrite any collections in the previous file. The next version will allow for author-maintained collections which will be ignored by the program--probably by the user adding a ~ prefix to the name of the collection, or some other identifying character.
So, until the next version comes out with above ability to keep my manually tweaked samples in their designated collection, I will avoid messing with samples and just clean up the amazon files that currently won't go into collections. I have plenty of those to keep me busy.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote