View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #15
bonzi
Enthusiast
bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bonzi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2i, K3/KK WiFi, Basic (old), 2xFire, 2xPW (old), Voyage, Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgtu View Post
Another alternative, though I have never used it, is that calibre itself functions as a server. You need to log onto its server address from any browser and your entire library is there for the taking. I presume you could do that from the kindle browser. Check the user manual for how to do that. You just have to remember to keep calibre runniing on your computer, even in the tray area. Close it completely and the server shuts down as well.
I was playing with this just yesterday, and it works very well. One can run the server independently from the main Calibre application, and rendering of its pages on K3 browser is reasonably good (there are several formats of varying complexity to choose from). K2 and Calibre server don't seem to play, though - it seems that the server is not satisfied with K2 request format (it also balks if one simply tries to access it with "naked" GET request on its port using telnet). When I find some time I will snoop a bit at the K2 requests.

Just make a shortcut to start calibre-server.exe with appropriate parameters, or you can use one of the utilities to start is as a service (starting with Vista Microsoft does not seem to include this capability in its resource kit).

See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/calibre-server.html

Last edited by bonzi; 12-02-2011 at 02:44 AM.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote