Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2016, 07:26 AM   #299
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... I'm not saying everything has to be super short or an easy read, but books that are accessible and rewarding are going to result in more participants in the discussion.
I think that's good to keep in mind. Months where long books have been nominated seem to have a high dropout rate when it's time for the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My Reason for not having read the book for this month is because I've been unable to get it from Overdrive. At present, my budget is tight. ...
Tell me about it. I've been retired over a year now and my finger has become a lot slower on the "buy" button than it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
... Ideally, I end up reading books I'd never have considered, but are rewarding. I have to say, though, that I'd probably end up giving a Star Trek novel the miss!
You know what's needed in the world today? A budding author to write Pride and Prejudice and Phasers.

Actually I think it would be interesting to read this month's Star Trek nomination, as it contains the author's own words before they were run through Paramount's patented Franchise Homogenizer. The last such book I read was The City on the Edge of Forever: The Original Teleplay by Harlan Ellison, and it differed considerably from what finally aired. Though the episode became the all-time fan-favorite, to this day Ellison despises the late Gene Roddenberry for the changes he made to his script to make the characters nicer and more noble. "Eviscerated" is the word he used.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote