View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #9
ecbritz
Book Concocter
ecbritz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
My available time has unfortunately been claimed by pressing duties. But I hope to return to this thread as soon as possible.

May I suggest a step-by-step learning curve for the beginner and ask your advice about each step?

I suggest that a beginner should follow three steps:

Step 1
Learn what an ePub is

It's not difficult to understand what an ePub is. But where does a beginner find a concise, clear and simple explanation?

My own suggestion is that the beginner should just read the initial parts of the Sigil tutorials, entering the tutorials through the Help function. An ePub is explained at the beginning of the tutorials.

As part of Step 1, the beginner should then open some ePub with Sigil to see how the .xhtml's and their paired files are laid out in the Book Browser -- ready to be re-edited and recompiled into a new ePub. This new ePub would be a make-over of the ePub he opened. That would explain an ePub to the beginner.

Has anybody got a better suggestion about how Step 1 should proceed?

Step 2.
Learn about the two ways of using Sigil

The two ways are:

(a) Compile and save an ePub after adding a number of .xhtml's to Sigil's Book Browser, applying Sigil's editing tools to unformatted or slightly-formatted text (and/or pictures) imported, inserted or copied into the editing window.

(b) Use Sigil to edit and compile an ePub from .xhtml's, a stylesheet etc. produced beforehand or inside Sigil on the basis of understanding and coding HTML.

In Step 2, the two ways should be explained and the implications of each should be made clear.

What can the user accomplish with (a)? What are the limitations of (a)? What can and should the user NOT try to accomplish with (a)?

What can the user accomplish with (b)? What are the requirements of (b)? (Basically learn to code HTML.)

And so forth.

Step 2 should not try to teach the beginner anything much. It should just explain to him why he needs to make a choice between what he learns next. He should either proceed to learn Sigil's editing tools, following the Sigil tutorials, and forget HTML coding and CSS for the time being. Or he should proceed learning how to code HTML, after acquainting himself with the Sigil interface a bit.

If he chooses to follow the first and easier route, and to avoid HTML coding for the time being, he will soon run into problems which might make him reconsider his choice. Or he might be quite happy with the simple results of the simple way of using Sigil.

Under Step 2, it might also be a good idea to provide information about exploiting epubs produced by word processors and desk publishing programs, adding the necessary warnings.

I'm not aware of a tutorial or document guiding the beginning through Step 2 as I see this step. Do you? What do you recommend regarding Step 2?

Step 3 (a)
Learn the Sigil interface

If the beginner chooses (a) in Step 2, he should proceed reading about and experimenting with the Sigil interface, following the tutorials found under the Help button. Its also a good idea to consult the User Guide (found under the Help button) every time a new concept or procedure is introduced in the tutorials. The beginner will need some information on what he can copy to the editing window, basically unformatted or slightly-formatted text.

Do you have better or other ideas about Step 3 (a)? Any reading you want to recommend to the beginner wanting to do Step 3 (a)?

Step 3 (b)
Learn HTML and CSS before concentrating on learning the Sigil interface

If the beginner chooses (b) in Step 2, he should proceed reading about and experimenting with HTML coding and CSS, after acquainting himself a bit with the Sigil interface, with Code View and so on.

The question is where the beginner should turn at this point. Toxaris has suggested http://www.jedisaber.com/eBooks/Introduction.shtml as a general starting point for learning about ePubs.

MrMikel has mentioned http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp and http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp .

GrannyGrumpy referred to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130390 where Pablo's turorial can be found. He (she?) also mentions other sources.

I think the best would be to suggest one, two, at the most three tutorials or guides to the beginner. Which are the most concise and easy to understand instructions on how to work on HTML and CSS? Which guide(s) are most compatible with learning to use Sigil?

What do you recommend with regards to Step 3 (b)?

Last edited by ecbritz; 05-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.
ecbritz is offline   Reply With Quote