View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
After the Agency model kicked in. Kobo receives a minimum of 30% of every sale.

I would have thought the profit margin would be enough to keep from losing $10 million last quarter. That's $100,000 a day!

Kobo must have a lot of employees on their payroll. Or maintaining servers/IT personnel is more expensive than we realize.
As I said, Kobo is running on a shoestring. It's not hard to spend $10 million more than your current revenues when you are seeding the market with inventory. Kobo expanded to a wide variety of new outlets throughout the fall and winter. It's not just about selling a $10 item and pocketing $3. Besides, Kobo has had extensive discount offers and, so far, I have yet to find a single title I've been interested in purchasing that did not qualify. And finally, lots of titles are less than $10 so they must also be selling a good deal of titles. Good on them!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote