View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by deddajay View Post
Thanks for the further suggestions re audio books and Ipads. The reason for looking at ebooks and TTS is that a) they are cheaper than audiobooks, b) there is considerably more choice in topic. My husband's choice of reading tends towards things like the history of the Cathars and ancient sea battles, not something you often find in readily available audiobooks - or at least not in affordable form as his interests tend to be priced at academic levels.
If you want to stick to an eareader, about the Pocketbook the thing which may help is assigning functions to the various buttons. You cannot activate directly the TTS function, but you can assing a function to the favourites, say, then press the ok button to call the context menu, then one click rigth and one up, press and the TTS starts.

But this would not make him independent in his reading should anything go wrong, and the Ipad function Harry is talking about sounds like something that would really make him independent in his reading - perhaps there is a similar app for android tablets, so you could go for something cheaper than the ipad.

I have also found this link: it mentions "Qread", which launched last month, as a new ereader for the blind. If you follow here:
http://q-continuum.net/qread/download
you actually get to a software, not an ebook reader, and there is very litte info to put it mildly - but there is an email contact, so you may want to ask them on which platforms it could be installed, adn above all whether it would also make operation of the reader by voice command possible (though I doubt it): but my guess it that they may also be able to help with more info Good luck!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote