View Single Post
Old 09-06-2008, 02:24 AM   #5
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I've bought four ebooks over the last week. Two were fairly minor titles from Webscriptions for $4 each (A total bargain) and two from Fictionwise. Fictionwise was interesting. I preordered Anathem by Neal Stephenson (I really don't have the room for more 900 page books) and got a full micropay rebate with it and then used part of that rebate to by Cryptonomicon buy the same author. I have the pbook version of that but want to read it on my 505. I could have downloaded a YARRR'd version but I had the micropay money spare and it's nice to have a copy with chapters

Anathem was $19.95 (+ $19.95 rebate) and Cryptonomicon was $7.99

I'd normally buy my books from Amazon UK. Here are the prices
Anathem is currently up for preorder at a shocking £23.45 (I was actually surprised when I just read that. It's insulting) and Crytonomicon will set me back £6.99 (I actually bought my copy in Waterstones for £8.99)

So in this case I've saved a considerable amount of money. The two Webscriptions books are drm free. Cryptonomicon was drm free a minute after I'd finished downloading it and Anathem will be the same.

You can get some real bargains if you shop around. However for the newest books it seems we're fairly reliant on certain DRM methods being hackable (As a 505 owner anyway). I have no shame in removing the drm on something I paid for. Despite it being illegal in the UK. Nuts to them. If I hadn't been able to remove it I wouldn't have been able to read it. No sale.

Last edited by Flub; 09-06-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote