View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
tbuyus
tbuyus began at the beginning.

Device: kobo/kindle/epub
span in span: is this problematic?

Hello Forum,

This is my first post and I hope it is okay.

I have a technical issue with an epub that I am trying to edit.

I have taken a public domain epub from project gutenberg and run one of the main html (item_002.html) files through some software I have written (that adds accents to the letters. The accents are part of a code I have created that indicates what sound each letter in a word makes).

I have then regenerated the file containing the html containing the new text. In my scheme this results in some of the silent letters needing to be surrounded with font tags (see below), to make them grey.

<p style="font-size:0.91em; line-height:normal; margin-bottom:0pt; text-indent:8pt">
<span style="font-family:Times, serif"><span>Krâmèŕ lêànèd back. "Yöü can sêê τħé siťüâţìòn. Hõ<font color="gray">w</font> can wê dêàl wiτħ a </span></span></p><p style="font-size:0.91em; line-height:normal; margin-bottom:0pt; text-indent:8pt"><span style="font-family:Times, serif"><span>factòŕ lîkè τħis? Τħé pèŕfect vãrïáblè." </span></span></p><p style="font-size:0.91em; line-height:normal; margin-bottom:0pt; text-indent:8pt"><span style="font-family:'Courier New', monospace">&nbsp;</span></p>

In the above example I have highlighted the mark-up surrounding the 'w' in the word 'how'. The software has made 2 changes to the original file.

1) it has placed each phrase in its own span - and added the accents
2) it has greyed the w in 'how' - (the o has been accented to indicate that it carries the 'ow' sound. This makes the 'w' redundant and hence why I want it in grey - signifying it is not to be pronounced)

However, when I replace the original file with the new one, re-zip into the epub, and then open it in ADE it does not display this modified section of the book.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks very much for any help

Tob.
tbuyus is offline   Reply With Quote