Thread: Glo Glo Battery Problems
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #91
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I do think our Kobo's would last us longer, but we'd still have a bad battery if it is the battery that is bad. If it's the firmware that messes up something in sleep mode, it would be a good workaround (although I don't like waiting for startup) – but it wouldn't help to find out what's going on.
I know that sleep vs power-off is a highly contentious topic on mobileread. I work purely on results and adopting a power-off strategy definitely extends the battery life for me - much more on the old touch than the new. I originally got involved in these general power discussions because of an observation that occasionally the old Touch would fail to slip from sleep-mode into full power-off mode and when this manifested it would chew through the battery power at an alarming rate. This bug aside, I believe the current poor life in newer machines is down to a bug with power management in the chosen linux kernel for the NEW touch/Glo (the old Touch was for the most part well-behaved).

Suspicions aren't enough of course. The only way we as users are going to know with any certainty is
a) Kobo admits to a problem (more chance of the Pope advocating condoms) b) have a reasonable sized group of us agree to a common testing regime in which both affected parties and non-affected parties with Touches and Glos adopt a common set of settings and test on free epubs. This should at least prove or disprove whether the hardware is at fault.

The biggest problem with b) is finding a statistically significant number of people (especially those unaffected) willing to give up the two weeks or so (2 tests - good settings/bad settings) necessary to do this. End result =
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote