View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #1601
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
My name is malarkey and I'm becoming an ebook (and audiobook) buying addict! The vast majority of my calibre library is, fortunately, public domain novels, stories, essays, poems and the likes which I've obtained from various websites such as this one and Gutenberg -- in 2012, however, I purchased sixty-four ebooks.

Judging by the TBR lists of others in this thread (yes, I've read the entire thing!), my measly sixty-four books are child's play. At $704.80 for the year, I spent an average of $11.01 per book. However, an addiction becomes a problem when satisfying that addiction isn't within your means -- and I'm a part-time employed university student with three other rather expensive habits (tattoos, comic books, motorbikes).

I only read about twenty books per year, so even if I exclude my plethora of public domain works, I've managed to purchase enough reading material for three years in the span of one year -- and I've only read one of those books so far! My biggest issues are as follows: I don't wait for sales, rather buying things when I decide that they look interesting, regardless of the price (the Kobo emails are a killer); and I don't wait until I've read one book to buy another -- I accumulate books that I may not end up reading any time soon.

I simply don't read fast enough (or make enough money) to justify buying this many ebooks. I need this support thread!
Welcome to the thread.

I think that perhaps the most important thing for you is a wish list. So that when you come across an interesting book, you can add it to your wish list rather than to a shopping cart!

And an average price of $11 is a lot, unless these are weighty non-fiction tomes. It's over three times my average book price.

So - start a wish list (say at Amazon), and don't buy anything unless it meets the guidelines of the thread.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-03-2013 at 06:25 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote