View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #62
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMee View Post
Hi,

its feels I messed up bad :-) Hope you can convince me otherwise.

- Started out with jailbreak and ssh access. Thought it would be nice to block amazon ads via /etc/hosts, while doing that i messed up passwd by replacing sh with bash (which exists) for root.
- Stupid to do that without 2nd ssh session - locked me from root as I got permission denied afterwards. Setting password with ";un password pass" as i ad done earlier didn't help

- Was still able to boot etc.. But wanted root back. Used custom RUNME.sh to sed back passwd.
- Not sure how, but I ended up with a Kindle that stops at Kindle start screen with tree and reading person

- Searched for Kindle Touch recovery and found your site. Helpful stuff!
- Was able to get into diagnosis. Was able to patch back /etc/passwd

So I'm still stuck:
1) Kindle boots only via MfgTool. No reaction to power button / hw reset at all
2) Not sure how to diagnose? See attached log as per your advice
3) No way to recovery by flashing back a backup partion via dd? If so - where to get one w/o buying a second kindle?

ItsMee
It might NOT be bricked. It takes a LONG time to make a backup image of mmcbl0p1. I am going to comment out that line in the previous post, just to eliminate confusion. Try rebooting with it connect to a power adapter, and let it complete the backup. Sorry...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote