View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by RasmusDC View Post
sorry for the delay from me, just been swamped with work..

when backlit, some are REALLY bright, thats actually when they are most visible, but its only SOME.. my wife does not seem to care, but she wants to try and get an exchange, since she talked to KOBO support, we took a lot of macro pictures, and they deemed it defective.
actually she were quite surprised, seems like she would have accepted one, but asked for another picture, of another place on the screen..

i found aprox, 7 visible ones.

so it annoyes me when its lit, less when not lit, and YES only when i focus on the errors. when i just grab it, and read text, its not the degrading of the experience, but this is not a 30 dollar item. (but havent used it that much yet, our vendor DEMANDS it perfect, if we do return it)...

i´ve been through ALL high resolution pictures i could find, and it seems like i can find "errors" on most of them. (but not that many)

the main problem is our retailer, he is not that easy to get to exchange, so i might have to use the 14 days return, and try another vendor. thats a bit annoying only 2-3 vendors i DK has these E readers. (should i go for another brand? i love the design, the feel, the menus)

this is another picture of another place on the screen

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2750109/kobo2.jpg
If kobo tells you its defective, print out a copy of the chat/email and take that to your vendor.

Also you have two different problems. One is stuck pixels, the other is "bright pixels" which are not screen defects but rather defects in the light distribution layer.

There is no product that competes directly with the Aura HD that I know of. There are other ereaders but the size will be smaller and less sharp. They are still good, but you should know what to expect. Personally I would love to have the Aura HD but it doesn't fit in with my use case scenarios. I say that you try for another Aura HD. Try it out in store, turn it on, and then turn on the front light to max and look for bright pixels.

But you should know that bright pixels are a common problem with all lit readers. Yes, you can find one without them and that's how they should be, but you might have a hard time doing so, it has to do with the light distribution layer. Now the key things are that they tend to be only annoying when you look directly at them but definitely more noticeable than stuck pixels. Therefore if they are in the middle of the screen they will be a constant irritant. If, on the other hand, they are on the corner where you never have any text, you might want to accept it as is and live with it. It all depends on what you and your wife are willing to live with. On my Glo it originally seemed perfect but then eventually after a few months a bright pixel appeared. It was very angle dependent so unless I looked directly at it and angled it to my face it didn't bother me.and returning it would have been both a major hassle and expensive. In my case it was not worth it, especially since it would be difficult to get Kobo to declare 1 bright pixel as "defective" months after purchase.

In your case you have local distributors and kobo on the record saying yours is defective so I say go for it and try to get a better one.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote