View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #18
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
I recommend:

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1400

Charles Dickens is one of my favourite writers and the first person who comes to mind when some one says the word "classics". In Great Expectations we have the story of Pip, an orphan being raised in a working class background by his sister and her husband. He is set on course to become a well off gentleman by a mystery benefactor. On his journey from childhood to adult life he encounters many facets of human society and life, including a strange love and learns what truly matters in life.

The narrative is in the first person and really pulls you into the story. It has some of Dicken's best crafted and complex characters and is full of vividly described scenes and landscapes from the countryside to Victorian London, which create great atmosphere. The first line:

"My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip."