View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I read quite a bit of nonfiction, so will add some rec's here as I think of them. I liked Game Change, but couldn't get into either Moonwalking or 6 Glasses.

If you like memoirs of offbeat professions, I can recommend Down Among the Dead Men by Michelle Williams - her first year (or so) as a post mortem worker in a morgue.

There's also Barbara Demick's Nothing to Envy - six escapees stories of the North Korea they're doing their best to hide.

Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier would be good for travel, history and/or Russ-o-philes.

The Tenth Parallel by Eliza Griswold is a well written account of the clash between zealots within Islam and Christianity along that latitude.

Heaven: Our Enduring Fascination with the Afterlife by Lisa Miller, religion editor of Newsweek magazine is well worth a read.

I'm going to throw in a mention of A Skeptic's Guide to (American) Writers' Houses by Anne Trubek, wherein she visits several examining the question of whether pilgrimages there really "soak up atmosphere" or whether it's more of a fan fetish thing?

That should be enough for now
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote