View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #13
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thank you, Lene!

I haven't posted any snippets in awhile (yes, I hear the world's collective groan ), so here we go....

The first thing she saw was the body.

It was kind of hard not to. She was pushing on the door, which nudged the inert figure. She supposed she gasped. The blood was just now starting to expand across what was once someone’s copious belly. The puffy face and shaggy blonde-gray hair were unrecognizable. Not due to the gunshot—she just didn’t know this man.

Margaret looked up.

“Margaret?”

Gordon Fortran watched her with shrewd black eyes. Eyes, that for a moment, were hypnotic enough to wrench her gaze away from the gun in his hand. The puff she had identified earlier was the silencer affixed to the silver barrel—the same silencer that was now leveled on her chest.

Margaret bleated a sound that was a mix of confusion and terror as she took an awkward step of retreat.

“Margaret,” he repeated more forcefully. “Don’t get carried away. Stay put and let me explain this to you.”

Maybe there was a logical explanation for the dead man on the floor. Maybe Gordon had every right to shoot the man. After all, the partner in one of Boston’s most distinguished law firms certainly had enemies. Yes, maybe she should have stayed and listened to his take on this event.

But if it was all so innocent, why was that gun still aimed at her chest?

With one last look into the icy black eyes of her boss, Margaret turned and ran. She picked the perfect time to exhibit agility in her high heels as she slammed her palm on the elevator button and suffered a thousand coronaries waiting for the doors to close.

Someone sneezed.

Margaret stared in horrified fascination at the smoke whirling out of a hole in the elevator wall.

My God, he had shot at her!

The elevator doors slammed shut. Powerless, she slid down into the corner and prayed that no one would be there when they opened again.

VICTORY COVE - http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/7274
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote