View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #40
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I remember being a poor first-year graduate student trying figuring out how to get home for Christmas. Fortunately, an Amtrak train was available to travel the 1000 miles but it left after midnight from a small town 100 miles away and arrived after midnight the next night in a small town 100 miles away from where I wanted to get to. The logistics of travelling those extra couple hundred miles in the middle of two nights was not going to be easy or pleasant. Not counting those two smaller trips, the train ticket was going to save me $50 compared to an airplane ticket. No surprise: I flew. I have never ridden a train in the U.S. between cities. Practically, the option doesn't exist except in the northeast, as far as I'm aware.
From La Crosse to Chicago is a five hour Amtrack ride. The depot is in La Crosse, Union Station is centrally located. It is MUCH easier to take the train than driving, and less expensive. To the Twin Cities, likewise, although the connections are later and less desireable. To anywhere else, it's a slog. To get to St Louis involves a night layover in Chicago.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote