View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
In case anyone wants to compile the kernel, here's what you have to do (I might do a big write up one day, but for now):

I'm assuming you're a developer or linux hacker and have all the usual development tools and dev packages installed and knows how to compile stuff.

1. Get a cross compiler for ARM, you can compile your own with Amazon's provided source (gcc, libc, binutils, etc), or install a pre-compiled one: http://www.codesourcery.com/sgpp/lite/arm
2. Get uboot-mkimage from any repository
3. Set to compile for Kindle's MX3 arch, do the following command
Quote:
make mario_mx_defconfig
4. Amazon adds some extra files to the initramfs, I can't find these files right now, and I don't know the side effect of not having them. For now, just ignore those files. Edit ".config"
Look for
Quote:
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE="../../initramfs/skeleton.list ../../initramfs/image/"
Change to
Quote:
CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE=""
5. Do whatever you want to the kernel, the most popular choice would be to add additional drivers and modules to the kernel, so to do that, do:
Quote:
make menuconfig
6. Compile the kernel, do the following
Quote:
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=~/CodeSourcery/Sourcery_G++_Lite/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi- uImage
7. Compile the modules
Quote:
make modules
8. Copy everything over to the kindle, install modules to their respective locations (/lib/modules/) and copy uImage to root (/)
9. do
Quote:
/test/flashtools/update-kernel-both /uImage
Reboot and pray

Last edited by yifanlu; 07-25-2010 at 10:27 PM.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote