View Single Post
Old 03-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #1073
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn View Post
I hope this wont require my Laptop with Calibre Server all the time? Just when I want to transfer. Right?

Also, could I transfer when I do not have a WiFi router/ WLAN? When I am out on the road ?

And it also Syncs/ Saves Hightlights/ Annotations over WiFi?
Correct, once you enable the calibre http server, you can the go to Marvin, select the OPDS feeds section (Cloud icon at bottom of library or home screen) and add your server to it, it would be like:

HTTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080/opds/

(XXX. etc is your calibre server's ip. address). The default port is 8080, but it can be changed in the http server section in Calibre. If like me, you like to leave the server running in a dedicated machine, you can set up username/password.

After that you can browse the catalog and download single or multiple books as needed.

If you wish to transfer from the road (No router or wifi available) you have options:

1.- you can setup an ad hoc wifi connection with your laptop when needed and run the calibre server.

2.- connect the iPad to the laptop with a cable, use iTunes (drag and drop to the Marvin file section).

If you decide to set up a dedicated calibre server, it's easy to forward the ports thru your router to the calibre server. I do this and have access from anywhere.

I don't use the annotations functions, but Alex (Aka Faterson) is really our resident expert on annotation and all things highlight.

Cheers

Art