View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post

A jump drive is better known among IT folks as a USB drive since it attachs to your USB port. My recommendation is not to use a USB drive, I would recommend that you go out and buy an external hard drive that also attaches to your USB port. The reason for this is, see for yourself, the cost per megabyte of the drive. The external drive costs a lot less in terms of dollars per space on the drive and stays permenantly attached to your drive and gets t he backup done without intervention from you.
I will add to the list of negatives

Flash drives (Jump drives) are Snail SLOW when compared to a standard rotating drive (even if it is in a USB caddy that runs at USB 2.0 speeds).
It took hours to (Calibre) "copy to Library" my 1200 books to a 2G Flash drive.

I can see the attraction for Flash drives. They are cheap (out of pocket) for 2-4 G sizes (US$ 7-18). That still does not make them (or CD/DVD) good longish term archival media.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote