View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #212
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Even more shamelessly plugging in here... ;-)

yifanlu's kindletool is (unfortunately) horribly broken in too many ways.

I know this sounds like an offence, but it's definitely not meant to be one. Yifan confirmed that this was one of his very first projects in C, and that the purpose was primarily to learn about native memory management from it. The resulting C code works well on a few configurations, but fails in various ways on others. There are a multitude of justifications or explanations for this, but the simplest one is that "C isn't really portable". Yifan's code is not "bad" or "wrong" - it just makes some assumptions that can change with the environment.

This is why I created the KindleToolTask task (for the KT localization) in the first place. It was always meant as a workaround, and it still involves the original kindletool.

The whole logic of a real "KindleTool" has beed developed and pointed out by yifanlu. The only thing that is really needed left is to actually make it work in all circumstances. I delivered a partial solution above. My (personal) recommendation is for someone with C and Java experience to look into the existing work, and to extend the Java implementation in order to reflect the original logic. Yifan Lu's original code is actually very understandable, and a good starting point.

(I don't have the time to do this by myself, but I seriously hope someone else will pick up on this)
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote