View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegeott View Post
But now, in order to properly work to porting of kernel 2.6, I would to start boot from the network.
If this is not possible, I want to know how to stop the boot process and run a custom kernel image (also from a location on the network if possible).
Has anyone any ideas?
First of all, be aware that the process to flash your custom kernel to the iliad is well documented and tested.

And about booting from the network:

The only "network-boot" that has surfaced in both mobilered forums or irex forums, is for userspace (using NFS root; matthijs posted a 2.4 kernel suitable for that in irex forums). That will not help for loading the kernel itself.

I can only think of a rather convoluted way: using the kexec route with a NFS-enabled 2.4 kernel. Kexec booting is possible, that is, booting first to kernel 2.4 and from there boot kernel 2.6 (this is what nalim did, and also what ulno and myself were testing in the other thread). Problem: AFAICT the kexec-enabled kernel doesn't has NFS support, so it would have to be recompiled.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote