View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
Could you elaborate a little? I pondered which to get for ages and finally decided for the new PW. But I'd use it with Calibre to sideload and with wi-fi off, so if this poses serious problems maybe I should rethink my decision. You seemed quite happy with the PW when you posted in this thread the last time, so what happened in the meantime?
Sideloading via Calibre and USB isn't a problem at all, however unless you wifi sync with Amazon's servers occasionally, the clock won't keep correct time and neither will you be able to manage collections on the PW - without jailbreaking, installing hacks and manual intervention that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm interested to hear this too. I predominantly sideload and only have wi-fi turned on very, very occasionally and don't have any issues? I don't however have lots of books on my Kindle and am happy to organise them into collections on the Kindle itself. I must be in the minority that it bugs me that my Sony automatically sorts them into collections based on the tags in the metadata!

I'm tempted by the new Aura and the Paperwhite and will be waiting until both are out to decide. But the continual firmware updates (and bugs) that are typical of Kobo put me off far more than having to connect to wi-fi from time to time.
Firstly I don't use wifi full stop, no connection with Amazon at all, my PW isn't even registered. So no clock which is annoying and so unnecessary for Amazon to restrict this way. Secondly I prefer to keep hundreds of books on my reader which obviously means that the idea of spending hours organising them manually into collections isn't an option I'd choose - even if it were available which it isn't, I've never registered the PW so collections aren't available to me directly on the PW.

These points together with the Home page cover view only showing 3 items, (the rest of the page being taken up by a tree and a request to register!), have been irritating me every time I open the PW. I have jailbroken and installed hacks to allow Calibre collections to work with the PW but this isn't an automatic process like it would be with a Sony or Kobo device - due to Amazon purposely blocking it in newer devices.

All in all they may sound minor points, but when you encounter them on a virtually day to day basis, they are more than enough to make me sell the PW and look at Sony or Kobo for a replacement reader. I have previously owned Sony devices and find them very stable but limited in options. I have also owned Kobo devices and I find that it is the wide possibilities for customisation that can cause instability of the reader. I also found that by not changing too many things too quickly, my Kobo reader was very nearly as stable as other makes. At least you can customise your reader without going to the bother of jailbreaking and installing hacks; a big thumbs down to Amazon for deliberately limiting the function of the PW if you don't connect to their servers.

Regarding Sony creating collections from Tags, it wasn't a problem for me as I just used Calibre to tell it to use another column to create collections from instead, problem solved once and for all. I like to choose how my collections are created and then expect it to work automatically each time I transfer books. Having said this, it would be fantastic to be able to have a hierarchical structure for collections, but I don't suppose it will ever happen on mainstream readers.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote