View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #104
dlong
Total newb
dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'dlong can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: iPad 3, Kindle paperwhite
Hi again.

This is probably of little interest to many, but I just want to clarify something... I don't mind the SO. Some of them I enjoy, and I am aware that I agreed to it for the price purchased. Additionally, I could just pay the $20 and remove them. But I don't object to the price or the tradeoff... I just got annoyed, and wanted to manipulate the filesystem to remove or modify certain ads.

It is totally possible to do this, fwiw. I found mobileread, went through the wiki and the posts, and found the footpath that y'all have already set forward. Using the jailbreak and usbnet works beautifully, letting me find an annoying/offensive ad and modify or remove it.

This is my non-legally-adequate analogy:

magazine ad:kindle ad::ad-supported magazine:my ad-subsidized kindle

I purchase a magazine with the price subsidized by ads. Great. If I wanted to, I could pay more and go no-ads for certain publications... but the ads can be informative, entertaining, etc. I like my no-ad magazines (Woodsmith and Cook's Country come to mind) but I really like the ads in Make magazine and Wired, too.

But the perfume ads? Those things bug me. So I always tear them out. And I also sharpie-mustache the "Most Interesting Man in the World" because it amuses me, I get bored, etc. Now that I'm here I can do the same thing with my kindle. Yay hooray.

I would even argue that I remember more about the ads (an advertiser's goal) and have a stronger relationship with the brands AFTER I have sharpie defaced (or Gimp defaced) an ad. So I'm not sidestepping ads all together and won't install Ad Toggler.

I'm amazed by JBpatch and impressed by the unix-fu that was required to get the usbnet functional and loaded. I love that I can plug up, rename the RENAME-auto file and reboot my kindle to muck around with ads or anything else, then rename the auto back to RENAME and get right back to the stock functionality. This is great stuff and I hope the community continues. If you can't open it, you don't own it. Mad props to ixtab and NiLuJe and the other developers on this board.

Anyway, that's just a little perspective on my own thoughts for the jailbreak, how it's used, and how frustrating it is that Amazon decided retroactively to remove the functionality of a working jailbreak from the kindles it's already sold.
dlong is offline   Reply With Quote