View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #25
lapsedgeek
lapsedgeek began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD+
@Rbneader -
After going back to look more closely, I think I was just misreading the way the automatic updates work. So, I think it is just as always, that the autoupdate may just return you to stock, but then it is still possible to re-root. I was interpreting it to mean that the first autoupdate done on brand-new powerup would prevent any rooting.

@livramax and @PatNY - Thanks for the clarifying.
I'm interested in using Android apps, and it may be that since HD+ now has better access to these I don't even need to root it.

But, if I do, I think a dual-boot is sounding like the simplest to maintain, although it may be slow because it is running off the SD. I've read a little about the hybrid from bokbokan that is able to use SD for ROM and share EMMC with stock OS for data. The HD+ I bought is 16GB (someone posted link to this earlier in the thread). Will that be enough or should I return it for a 32GB if I want to do hybrid? Originally I didn't know about this hybrid option and figured I'd get the 16 and just buy a 64GB card to allow for using this as a tablet for a long time. Is the hybrid stable?

Basically, I want to do this once, have it be stable, and maybe update to a new stable version each year. I'm fine running off a card if that is what is needed, don't want to play games, just read, use productivity apps, surf/email...This is mostly a cheap way to relieve pressure in my household from multiple kids wanting internet access at the same time. That is really what is driving me nuts right now.
Thanks everyone for the speedy replies!
lapsedgeek is offline   Reply With Quote