View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #21
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
A proportionate fine would be much more appropriate. I also think that many of the RIAA and MPAA's tactics are not well thought out as all too often they come across as the heavies when they are doing their jobs.
I think it's the punishments that largely do that... akin to a policeman confiscating your car because you were driving 15MPH over the speed limit. Of course, a more accurate parallel (to them) may be driving 100MPH above the speed limit, in which case, confiscation would seem appropriate... It's always a matter of perceived degree of the offense.

I'm sure that at some point the courts will re-evaluate the idea of a "reasonable fine" for these charges, one that can be enough of a deterrent without being inane. That would, I think, also make it easier to standardize the system so the legal process can be simplified. The only question is how soon?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote