View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
[KPW] change lighting color?

I realize it's probably a bit premature since nobody has a KPW yet and no "teardown" has been done, but I figure it might be worth talking about already:

The new lighting system is LED which is then fed into the nanoimprinted light guide (basically a flattened out fiber optic cable).

Could it be possible to hack the LED to produce a different light spectrum? (either hw or possibly even sw?). I know that some LED lights that can change colors just have this done at the semiconductor chip level, effectively enabling multiple colors on one led. So maybe it could be possible to physically hack the led electronics to produce a different color (ie, swap out the chip for a differently programmed one?) or could it even be possible to do this only through a software hack?

I would prefer a light color in the more amber part of the spectrum for nighttime reading. In fact, right now I have a battery operated led clip light I use for reading that only produces amber colored light -it is much more comfortable for nighttime reading than white light and also bothers other (possibly sleeping) people much less.

I know we'll have to wait for a proper teardown of the KPW to talk more realistically about this, but I'm guessing some of you out there have a better grasp on current led lighting technology than myself and may be able to provide some theoretical input to this potential KPW light hack?
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote