View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 AM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Are you sure? I thought only Voyage of the Jerle Shannara and The High Druid trilogies had a story arc spanned over three books. I do own the Word/Void series and the Genesis series, but haven't read them yet, and basically assumed they were separate stories. I could be wrong though. Straken is the last Shannara book I've read, and it was published in... what; 2005, 2006, so I'll take your word for it. I'll see when I get there edit: wikipedia says 2005. So it's been almost 8 years since my last Shannara/Terry Brooks book. That long? Sjees. Time flies.
Word/Void may be an exception to the rule, too. You'll have to forgive me... I still have a difficult time even considering it part of the Shannara series most days. Mainly because I read it before it was a part of Shannara. Brooks never decided to bridge the two series' together until after Word/Void's publication (if author interviews are to be believed, anyway).

But yes... Heritage, Voyage, High Druid, Genesis, Legends, Dark Legacy ... all these "sub"-series are one story simply (and often brutally) split over multiple books. You could probably read any of the sub-series in any order you wanted to (though there would be a few spoilers along the way if an entirely chronological approach was taken by a first-time reader), but jumping into the middle of one of those sub-series might certainly lead to a lot of confusion. Brooks has always maintained that first-time readers should read the books in published order ... chronological is fine for those who may be "revisiting."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote