View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OpticBook 3600 for $229.99 at TigerDirect

If you are looking for a very nice book scanner, and you have a compatible version of Windows, now might be a good time to buy. The Plustek OpticBook 3600 is available at TigerDirect for $229.99 after instant savings.

For those of you who are not familiar with the device, it stands out because it is a flat bed scanner with excellent edge scanning capabilities, so you can scan a book easily without having problems with the scan in the binding area. It also makes the process less destructive on the book being scanned (you don't have to force it flat on the glass to scan it). And it comes with a great suite of software to finish the job.

TigerDirect lists compatible versions of Windows as Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows XP, Windows ME. Don't know if it can work on Vista or not.

It's a little smaller than a multifunction printer, but it's not small. So you'll also need a place to put it near your computer. To be honest, if I had a nice place in my office to tuck it, I'd buy one myself. It's a great product!

I don't know if they have an updated version of the product or not, but I would like to see them on the market. Regular flatbed scanners are a pain to use. Auto sheet feeder scanners are nice if you can cut apart and destroy a book. And overhead camera systems are probably going to be the best answer in the future, but for some reason I haven't seen any cheap options yet so that will probably taka a while, and binding issues will still remain.

Hey, you bargain hunters might even find a used one out there for more savings.

Links...
Plustek Product Page
Tiger Direct Product Page
Previous MR review
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote