View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #1
JoppyFurr
Coding fuzzball
JoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseJoppyFurr juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle Touch
[Kindle Touch] JoppyTerm Alpha 0.1

Hi,

I have finally managed to get a basic terminal starting to work.
In it's current state, it's not that useful, as it does not yet support any of the ANSI control characters.

It can be used to run simple commands and get output. For example: ls, pwd, date, uname, ifconfig, etc.

Currently, to get the program to cleanly exit:
1 - Type "exit" at bash.
2 - touch the top right corner of the screen.

Once more of the basic features are implemented, I'll package it up to be run with from a menu, or maybe run as ";term" from the search bar or something. For now, I've been starting it via USB ssh.

Alpha 0.0
--------------

Working:
- Plain text entry (including upper case / symbols with the shift key)
- Plain text output
- Runs /bin/sh

Not yet working:
- ANSI / VT-100 control characters
- Backspace, delete, tab, etc.
- Bugs in scrolling
- Modifier keys other than shift
- Arrow keys

Features I'd add once the basics are fixed:
- Text-size option
- Terminal window size option (80x24 looks kinda small at the top of the screen)
- Tabs for multiple sessions at once
- Finger-drag scrolling back to look at past text.
- Option to change keyboard layout

Note: My source code is probably a bit of a mess. I wrote this on little sleep :P

This is a very early alpha release, so it's quite incomplete. But I'd thought I'd share what I've done so far. Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze in another update before my remaining exams next week, although, I can't be certain if I'll find too much free time.

Any feedback is welcome :3

UPDATE: Alpha 0.1
I've released a small update. This fixes the scrolling bug, and now comes with GUI Launcher support (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161263), so you can run the terminal without having to plug your kindle into your computer.
Attached Files
File Type: gz JoppyTerm_Alpha_0.0.tar.gz (16.1 KB, 297 views)
File Type: gz JoppyTerm_Alpha_0.1_Launcher.tar.gz (7.8 KB, 292 views)
File Type: gz JoppyTerm_Alpha_0.1_Source.tar.gz (15.0 KB, 278 views)

Last edited by JoppyFurr; 05-24-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Updateed to Alpha 0.1
JoppyFurr is offline   Reply With Quote