View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 AM   #11
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I was wondering what the previous poster who mentioned older Palm devices meant by their backlight type. Is that the Palm with these greenish backlight? Didn't the Hiebook have a backlight like this and many folks considered the eb-1150 to be superior? Just wondering, I've only ever seen pictures of a Hiebook but I was thinking of buying one off eBay.
The first Palm I ever had was monochrome. The greenish backlight was really dim -- only really useful in the dark, but that was just fine. It was possible to turn on the backlight and then show the screen in reverse video so only the letters were lit. That made it very easy to read in the dark. I never noticed any eyestrain.

Now my Palm device is an M125. Normally it does not show reverse video, but eReader allows it. The M125 has the same dim backlighting -- good for the batteries. If you like to read in bed or in a darkened airplane, the monochrome Palm is perfect. As for screen size, how many of us prefer the narrow columns in newspapers and magazines? It is a little easier to read as almost no eye movement is required. The only difference between that and a large screen then is the frequency of page turns. A little exercise is beneficial.

Another big plus for the Palm is that the two AAA batteries last about a month and spares are easy to find. You can use the rechargeables too, if you like. Many readers are available for it. My M125 cost US$29 refurbished. It holds a 1G SD card too. And of course you can play games and tote your data and . . .
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote