View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #27
KACartlidge
Author
KACartlidge began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PR505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Just a thought, but using RTF on a Kindle through conversion to MOBI is a huge waste of formatting. Much of the formatting in a RTF file will be lost when converted to MOBI (or ePub if you have a Sony reader or a Nook). If you absolutely want to retain most or all of the formatting you need to use MS Word to convert the files to PDF.

If the formatting is not a huge issue, then I would use calibre to do the conversions to MOBI as calibre will typically do conversions a lot better than Amazon. Try it out. Add a RTF file you created into calibre and see if calibre correctly reads the metadata. If it does use calibre to do batch conversions. If calibre does not correctly read your RTF metadata, then you might have entered it incorrectly.
Jack,

Thanks for the advice. For a lot of my stuff that will work fine.

Calibre reads the metadata fine, as does Word and the Sony. There is in fact only one way to specify title and author in RTF files (the {\info} tag) so there is little scope for problems anyway.

Just to clarify:
  • I do not want to convert to MOBI at all
  • I do not want to do any conversion in fact
  • I do not want to use third party software
  • I want to send RTF files straight to the Kindle (@kindle.com is fine)
  • Amazon state RTF support - even if via conversion during transfer
  • I do not care if the file is no longer RTF when it arrives due to Amazon's actions
  • I would like the metadata from the RTF I sent to show on the Kindle

To confirm:
  • The RTF metadata is intact and correct by the spec
  • MS Word, Sony PRS-505 and Calibre can see it

My question:

Am I missing something? Is there some action I need to take or some extra info I need to provide to get the metadata from the RTF to show on the Kindle (with it remaining an RTF until at least the moment the transfer commences)?

If not, I will have to do conversions. I would just really like to avoid it.

Thanks for any help.
KACartlidge is offline   Reply With Quote