View Single Post
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcdy View Post
I never before Sigil encountered a program that would essentially destroy significant parts of a document because of typo mistakes. I admire the many great features of Sigil but recently I've started doing almost all my markup in UltraEdit and/or Word 2003, and try to really check for errors before bringing it to Sigil. Even then, I always miss some typos and find I must replace significant parts of my files because of Sigil's 'help'. Why can't Sigil simply point out mistakes in a different color, add a pointer to where located, and allow an interim save even though there are xhtml errors (without any automatic 'corrections')?

I've never been helped, as far as I know, by Tidy's error corrections because most of the corrections are gobbly-gook that is spread throughout an entire xhtml file, or at least through many paragraphs.
Like I've said, this should all be resolved in Sigil 0.4.0. Currently, when Sigil needs to manipulate your docs as XML, it uses Tidy to make sure the doc is well-formed. That can end badly in certain situations.

For 0.4.0, checks are being put in place that will inform the user that the doc is not well-formed and that will offer options in a dialog about resolving this.

I'm currently deciding on what those options should be, but I've already decided on two: 1) use Tidy or 2) give the user the option to fix it manually ("here's a line/column number and an error message, now go fix it"). I'm also thinking of offering option 3) revert changes, but I'll need to explore that one a bit more.

As I've said before, complaining about about something in Sigil is only possibly productive until I start working on a fix for exactly that problem.

After that it's unproductive. If I could fix it faster, I would have done so already.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote