View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
$10 is still a ripoff, particularly if, as rcuadro says, you can get only the songs you like in iTunes. Aside of that, a CD of 700 mb's can be filled with 150 songs or more, and they tend to pack a dozen or less in every disc.
But if you filled that CD with 150 songs, I wouldn't want to buy it! The reason I buy CDs is so that I can get full-fidelity versions of my classical, jazz, early music, rock, pop, etc. If I wanted a degraded (e.g. compressed) version, I'd just buy it online.

If they used Apple Lossless compression, or one of the open-source lossless encoders, or some other equivalent, they could put 2x as much music on a disc (on average) with no reduction in sound quality. I certainly wouldn't object.

Anyway, I buy most of my CDs direct from the artists at concerts (and at full price... sigh). That way the artists get both the wholesale and retail markup in addition to whatever payment they would have (?might have?) gotten from their label. (It happens that the particular concert venues I patronize most frequently don't charge the artists for selling their discs; other venues have other policies.)

So a $10 price point looks like a very good idea to me. As always your mileage (and your needs) may vary.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote