View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by themoores1us View Post
The books I have been converting seem to vary since they are all scanned books and the 'person' doing the scanning doesn't take great care in making them look nice. But I would generally say that there is more white space at the top and to the right, sometimes losing a line at the bottom. I should add that I have been converting to prs505 portrait format.

Jim
I would treat a big white top margin with full extents, left and right as normal, but to have some leftover white on the right may indicate there are scanning artifacts on the page interferring with the internal cropping function that removes as much of the white space as possible (and retain the same aspect ratio). You could try entering Size H: and V: as different from 583 and 753 to help squeeze the white out! In the end, if the scanned page in portrait mode is not in the same aspect ratio as the 505 screen, then it may be NORMAL to have a small amount of white on top and to the right, so nothing to fret about!

You may greatly benefit from the 'unpaper' option. If you click the word 'unpaper' on the GUI option screen, your browser will be directed to a website detailing the benefits of using 'unpaper'. It basically tries to counteract the effects of "bad" scanning errors (dark areas on the side, skewed pages, etc).

IT IS VERY TIME CONSUMING THOUGH! Several minutes per page!

To activate it, just place parameters (like '-v' for now) in the input box beside the word 'unpaper' on the GUI option screen. You should only test it on a specific range of pages numbers i.e. 1 to 5 (which may take half an hour!)

Then refine the unpaper input paraemters so as to only perform the operations you need. I've only done a few tests and know it can automatically deskew (straighten) pages, but have not done this for an entire book, let alone a 300 page pdf! (Let's see, 5 min per page x 300 page pdf = 1500 min / 60 min per hour => 25 hours or a day!)

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-08-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: clarified top and right margins may not be a problem
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote