View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feff View Post
The next step in the process is where I had trouble and found that Calibre hadn't been fully updating the metadata. Every book in the library was in two different formats and I decided to save disk space by moving the epub files to a new directory and letting Calibre rebuild my library.
Judging from the title of this post you didn't use calibre to export the books from your library.

Quote:
I imported the files with the "read metadata from file contents" option checked in preferences for adding books. ALL of the book titles and author names reverted to what they had been BEFORE I spent hours using Caliber to get the proper information entered for the books.
Metadata is updated in the book file when you use any of the following features.
  • Save to disk
  • Send to device
  • Convert the book (only method that updates the internal book file)
  • Use the content server
  • Connect to iTunes
  • Connect to folder
Quote:
I decided to start again and get the tags from the file names only to find that about 1/2 of the file names have been truncated from what the old database had been showing.
You should not be mucking around with the books in the calibre database. Use the ample tools in calibre to export the books from the library. You can't expect a program to work if you bypass that program and grab files from the middle of its database.

Quote:
I am about to start re-editing the data and need to know how to keep this from happening again.
Don't circumvent calibre by manually reaching into its database.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-03-2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: clarification
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote