View Single Post
Old 02-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
Why oh why can't someone besides Amazon come up with a download direct to the device??
Others are working on it, but for a lot of people, it's not a big priority--the inconvenience of "must access computer to acquire ebooks; must use USB cord to place them on Reader" is not too much hassle for most people. Most of us don't have a moment of "I must buy this ebook NOW! Cannot wait until I get home tonight!" during most days.

iPods have managed just fine for years, not being able to get new songs without a computer interface.

Would I like access to Feedbooks through my Reader? Sure. Manybooks? Ditto. Mobileread's free downloads? Oh hell yeah... but that's a lot of memory-eating software to add to my device. And that's without the hassles of payment methods. Making *one* bookstore available on a device (like Whispernet) is do-able. Making "ebookstores in general" available basically involves a full-service web browser.

More hardware, more software space, more potential for glitches, more expense for the customers who don't want those features... there are several reasons that wifi ebook readers aren't as high on the "needed improvements" list as, say, color pictures, or more format usability.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote