View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Madmick
Madmick began at the beginning.

Device: Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
*sigh* It's more expensive now than it was during release. I remember seeing it for $350 on Amazon when it was first released. Now it's selling for retail price. >.<
I noticed that Amazon now sells the 16GB version for $400 and the dock for $150 new.

I scored mine on Black Friday at Best Buy: $250 for the tablet + $100 for the dock. My parents had enough points at Staples through their business I was able to get two Class 10 32GB SD cards for $20. So for $370, I'm rocking an 80GB Android tablet with 2xUSB standard, a keyboard, 16hrs battery life, double the RAM (of the iPad 2), 1200x800 resolution, a superior camera, and HDMI capability.

It would have cost me like $900+ to get a 64GB iPad 2 with all the adapters and it still wouldn't match up. I do not regret my decision. I also owned a Xoom, but it was stolen. I prefer the Transformer.

Despite the heavier retail from demand the best used prices I've seen for the 10" class of Android tablets in the past couple of weeks I've seen for Transformers. I still see used units in "Like New" condition pop up for $300 now and then. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a friend. Since he tried mine, he "need(s) to have one...Madmick, I NEED it." And I can't sell him on the Kindle Fire. I can't push him off the lack of SD expandibility in the Fire (he realizes they're just trying to incur subscription fees for the Cloud) and the HDMI-capability (since he loves watching movies I download on his huge screen at his place through my tablet).

I heard a rumor on another board that Best Buy was planning on dropping the retail to $300 for these and $109 for the docks sometime here in the first quarter of 2012. Has anyone else heard this rumor? Or did this get scrapped when it was learned that the Transformer Prime's GPS are nonfunctional?

I'm hoping there's a big drop in the used market for this class when the iPad 3 hits (hopefully in March). The specs on the iPad 3 are scary. With the retinal display I'm seeing reports that the display resolution will be 2048x1536! The lens/glass quality in the iPads is already easily the best (although I think the advent of Gorilla Glass is closing this gap).
Add in LTE support and a quad-core A6 and I wouldn't be surprised if the 128GB version they release retails at $1000.

Last edited by Madmick; 01-16-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Madmick is offline   Reply With Quote