View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #15
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
I have three recommendations:

1. David Drake's series starts with Lord of the Isles. I think of it as classic high fantasy, and I think he just finished the last book in the series about a year ago? My problem with this series is that they all feel the same, mostly formulaic in structure. The characters are progressing throughout the series, but each book feels repetitious when I read them in a streak.

2. Lois McMaster Bujold has two fantasy series - her older one is more "high fantasy", while her latest four-book series is more personal - everything is at stake for the protagonists, but the world (probably) won't end if they fail. If you want one single book, I would try the third book in her "5 gods" series, The Hallowed Hunt. It's richer if you know the material from the other two, but it is earlier in the world's history, so specific details aren't required. (this series starts with The Curse of Chalion) And Lois wins LOTS of awards, so she sets a good example.

3. Now for something off the wall: John Ringo has a series that follows Clarke's Law (any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic). The technology is still there, but due to a fight between those who control it, most people can no longer access it. There Will Be Dragons is the first book, where the war starts. I think the series is fun (especially the second book, Emerald Sea - dragons as the strike force on sailing aircraft carriers?) but it might not match your requirements for research
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote