View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #236
davidwfleming
Ebook Dude
davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidwfleming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One other thing that I haven't brought up on this thread but I've been meaning to is Social Media Stage Fright.

This isn't a real term yet to my knowledge but I'll be perhaps one of the first ones to put it out there that social media like Twitter and Goodreads can be intimidating. My Twitter odometer passed over the 1000 follower mark this week and I'll admit it: it made me nervous. It seems like it raises the stakes and I get to a point where I don't know if I can predict what the effects of my actions will be. I've felt this way numerous times while I've been doing this, for example when my podcast started to gain some momentum (no longer published) or when I first discovered the effectiveness of commenting on other people's blogs (which I rarely do anymore) or when I realized that over a thousand people had downloaded my ebooks for free in an Amazon promo (and then I left Kindle select) and what if they were all reading them right now and what if they didn't like what they read.

Am I sabotaging myself? Do we all sabotage ourselves a little in these efforts? Is that another benefit of having someone else publish you? that they can push your brand as hard as they want and not have any psychological malaise.

It's nerve-racking sometimes to be continually putting yourself out there in new ways. And I wanted to open up the discussion that just like there is an "inner game" to such sports as tennis and golf, there is an inner-game to web-based self promotion.
davidwfleming is offline   Reply With Quote