View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Give a look at PDF Creator.
It's free, and it can save you time by defining a custom page size (the iLiad screen).
And save a Word template: you won't redo the same formatting every time.
I reinstalled PDF Creator and it installed cleanly this time. I didn't see a way to create links and it wanted to print to my printer rather than output a PDF. PDF Creator had notes on this issue but I decided to return to Nitro. I want the links. I have spent too many days figuring out how to create links and testing different conditions. Even tonight I did more testing. I now have decided how I am going to proceed. It is time to move on to actually using the reader. Now that is a novel thought. I need to start the work of adding my notes to the iLiad so I can be productive at work. I also want to install the developer package and I know that will take up a ton of time. I will wait a bit before I jump to that project.

For me the page size that works the best is B5 7.17 x 10.12. I know this means it is rendering the page but the speed does not degrade except for graphics. For the PDF's I create I will leave out any graphics. At this time I only had one graphic so no big loss.

I tested other fonts but settled on Book Antiqua. With the last one having a font size of 14 I lose a few lines but maybe also lose the eye strain. For me the last choice is perfect.

Page Size-----------Font--------Font Size-----Lines on screen
4.88 x 5.98----- Book Antiqua------12---------------26
7.17 x 10.12-----Book Antiqua------12---------------43
7.17 x 10.12-----Book Antiqua------14---------------39

If anyone is interested I used for the top margin 0.5 because with the leather cover it shades the top area. The rest I used 0 for margins. Even with Zero there are natural margins except for the bottom where it is right above the icons but not an issue for me.

I just tried 4.88 x 5.98 at a font size of 9 which displays nicely. I ended up with 35 lines.
Now I am back to wondering what to do. With this setup the zero margins are not good.

I have decided on the 7.17 x 10.12. I get a few extra lines without having to reduce the fonts for the other page size. Have other people experimented with how different page sizes affect how the fonts are displayed and then alter the number of lines on the screen? Are my results unique for me? I hope I am not sorry with this decision if I end up with a large PDF. I expect to not have more than 50 pages if that for each of my Documents so I should be ok even if the larger size can eventually have an affect on page turning.

Last edited by timezone; 08-14-2008 at 11:01 PM.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote